Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Diva Challenge #104: String Theory v. XXIII - Tangle Patterns String #003

This was a fun Challenge to do. I knew I would not have a lot of time so I wanted to do something relatively simple. When I looked at the string started to look at all the spaces and tried to visualize different ways to use them. Did not really want to do a different tangle in each section. That seemed too disconnected/disjointed. Was thinking about a class that I am planning on using tangles as strings. Decided this was a good time to get some practice as I had not done this for a while. Thus the beads. I was a little stumped on what to do next as there were still a lot of spaces. Thought of different things that I could do and started to do Keeko. Liked the way it was looking but after I was about half way up the tile, began to think that maybe just having that would be kind of boring so I began thinking of things that I might do. I did not want to do totally different tangles. As I looked at it it began to remind me or a necklace laying on a table. I thought of other things that might be on a table and decided on the flowers. If I had thought of it sooner I would probably have added a few more.

As is usual, the most challenging part of completing the tiles is the shading. I was not sure what to do but felt I needed to do something to separate out the different elements. Some of the blending did not go as I would have preferred but overall I am pleased with the result. I though about trying to do a little more rounding of the beads but opted not to do it.

Here is the tile:






If you have not been to the Diva's blog, would encourage to head over there by clicking on the highlighted link and look at all the other great postings.

As always, comments are appreciated, welcomed and encouraged. 

28 comments:

  1. Wow! I just love all your patience and beautiful line work! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Since Keeko does not have a lot of exact line work it was not as intense. The hard part was trying to match up in the spaces.

      Delete
  2. This is great. I like the necklace as a string and your shading works beautifully. the flowers add a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. The difficulty with not planning out too much is that I did the string first and could not really make the flowers bigger. Think it would have had a different look if the beads were also under the flowers. I guess too much thinking is not a part of Zentangle though. Some time may try it again and purposely make the flowers bigger to see what happens.

      Delete
  3. What a cool interpretation of this challenge nicely done. Also liked the background you chose for the photo - really enhances the overall effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Honestly, the background was really an afterthought. I have just been photographing on our table, which has a wood veneer on it, or white copy paper. When I went to take a picture of this I grabbed a napkin from the basket on the table and used that just for a little change. I had used one before for another tile so I did like the pattern that was on it. One of those unintended results.

      Delete
  4. Very elegant! Makes the eye rove...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this and it's great to hear your process. I think your shading is wonderful, it really makes your "necklace" pop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The shading is always the most challenging for me but I have gotten more comfortable the more I do. Sometimes I think I will always see something else I could have done. That really is not dissatisfaction, just looking for new things to do.

      Delete
  6. It does look like a necklace on a table. We are our own worst critics. This is a beautiful tile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am getting better at not being as critical. Have to keep reminding myself, it is about the process and there are no mistakes. Somethings are just more satisfying.

      Delete
  7. Beads and flowers, very pretty, give this to a lady friend. You are a guy aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Not sure what I will do with this one. My wife liked it. Am looking at possibly trying to matte some of them and display them in a local gallery. If I decide to do it this may be one that I will use.

      Delete
  8. wonderful! just a wow effect to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Glad that you liked it. I think that you are developing some nice work also.

      Delete
  9. I like your tile very much. A duo tangle with an extra; the flowers. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tile. Your background and the braids in the front make a great combination. And I love how you put the flowers in it. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you've done with this tile, Donald, though it is very "full" with pattern, it has a lovely minimalist look. I'm really enjoying seeing how you are developing your shading techniques. These beads look wonderfully dimensional :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen. I keep working at the shading. I figure if I keep practicing maybe I will get better by the time arthritis sets in. Just kidding. I do feel better about it than when I first started. I really did want to keep this simple and was pleased with the result of how the tangles worked with each other.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing your process - I love to read about how people get to the end product. Lovely, simple yet very full tile - beautifully done linework.... and I love the added flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think that the process is as much a part of the tile as the actual tangles.

      Delete
  13. I think you did a great job--especially love the daisies amid the pearls! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The flowers were a last minute addition but turned out well.

      Delete
  14. I think its al beautyfull result and loved your explanation of how you get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not sure if people like that or they see it as rambling.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.