Sunday, January 5, 2014

Zendala Dare # 86 - Grateful - Happy New Year!!

This will be a little bit different than my usual posts. It will become obvious why as you look at what is here. This is the first Zendala Dare of the New Year and the first one for the month and usually on those, there is an added challenge. The added challenge was to use the center of the template to show something that we are grateful for. Easy enough. RIGHT!!!. Issue was not so much thinking of something that I am grateful for but which thing to chose. I am grateful for my Savior. I am grateful for the 6 granddaughters that I have. I am grateful for 3 adult children who have grown into great responsible people. But the next issue would be what would I use to try and depict what I was grateful for. There would be a number of possibilities if I had a working scanner or even had a Photoshop program on my computer.  I do not.

I chose to do something that fit with Zentangle®.  It does not mean that this is what I am most grateful for, but it has become a large part of my life. It is a source of enjoyment, relaxation, and a little extra income.
So what I chose to do was to use the center to those people that were involved in my becoming a CZT. What I chose to do is to use a tangle that I associate with these people. I limited it to 3 people. The first is my sister, who first introduced me to Zentangle and got me started by giving me one of the Zentangle kits. She got this when she was attending her own training, CZT 4. She has been fortunate enough to have a tangle posted on tangle patterns so I used this tangle, Arckles, for her. The other two are somewhat obvious as it is Rick and Maria, who without there efforts to develop Zentangle, many of us would not have discovered and nurtured that creative side of ourselves. For them, I chose the tangles Paradox and Betweed. Here is what I ended up with. I hope you enjoy it.





Tangles used: Knightsbridge, Cockels 'N' Mussels, Chillon, Chard(variation). As mentioned above, the tangles in the center are Arckles, Betweed, and Paradox.

I was able to work on a few other things as well today. One is a bookmark that I finished. Well almost finished. Not sure whether I should add color to this or just shade it. Here is what that looks like.


Would be interested in any suggestions, or preferences that you might have. Not sure which one I will decide to do. They both have possibilities. Let me know what you think. 

Part of the reason I was able to spend so much time tangling today is because of the weather. Everything was cancelled today and most things are cancelled for tomorrow. That is because they have issued a travel warning which basically means that if you are out on the roads and not on an emergency run or a member of the police you can be arrested and fined. We have gotten through the snow and the next part is the frigid temperatures.  Here are a couple of pictures of what it was like this afternoon.














These are all pictures taken from our house. When these were taken it had been snowing for about 5 hours. By the time it was all done we ended up with 12+ " of snow on top of about 5" that was all ready on the ground. We are under a Wind Chill advisory for the next 36 hours. The high tomorrow is suppose to be -12º F.  The low on Tuesday night is predicted at -16ºF. That is bad enough but they are predicting 30 - 40 mph wind gusts so the Wind Chill will be -30º to - 40º F.  Am really hoping that the power stays on because I do not want to deal with the possibility of frozen pipes. I am sure that for some of my Canadian visitors, this is not unusual, but for here it is not the norm. It has been about 30 years since we have had such conditions.
Hope that things are much nicer where ever you are located. If not, hope that you stay warm and safe.

If you  have not all ready, would encourage you to visit The Bright Owl and look at the great pieces that others have posted. There are usually some unique and creative things.

Thanks for visiting. As always, comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

Go Tangle !!

10 comments:

  1. Love your treatment of this week's Dare, and the reasons you chose the various tangles. It was also hard for me to decide on what to represent in my gratitude Dare. Like you, in no way is my Dare all inclusive of all I have to be grateful for. Thanks for the pictures of the beautiful snow. I'm in San Diego and it's been a long time since I've seen any snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful zendala, Donald and a great post.
    Keep warm and safe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand staying in today!! the snow is deep and it is cold..but it a beauty that is all its own!! I worked all evening on an 11x14 zentangle zebra! Love the challenge..and the bookmark is very nice! i think a little color would be nice on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your bookmark. Of course I would add some color to the flowers, and then maybe 2 shades of green in the leafy border. Then I might end up highlighting the main stem with some green to pull it all together. It seems like it's been a lot worse weather in the midwest than we have had here in Northern Idaho! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burrrr, I am so "grateful" to live in the Phoenix, Arizona area HAHA! I think your Zendala is so thoughtfully composed and so meaningful. As far as the bookmarker goes, I love shading and can't imagine Zentangle without it. If you're not sure, maybe you could scan it and print a copy to try first and see what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the mention - glad to have given you the nudge but even happier that you became a CZT - it's a joy to hear your process, see the results and share Zentangle with you. Glad the white stuff won't be there in May and hope your pipes didn't freeze. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your zendala is beautiful! Also love the snow pics. We have cold weather, but nothing pretty in my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very beautyfull... the tile and the pictures but I am glad to live in holland.here its warm for the time of year.
    be carefull out there...stay in and....tangle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chilly weather hasn't frozen your imagination, I'm glad to say. You've put a lot of thought into your Zendala and it really shows - great work and lovely sentiments. I think the bookmark is beautiful too - and I'm surprised at myself when I say this - but I think it would look lovely with colour...
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful zendala and awesome pictures of the weather love seeing it but not so much living with it, we had icy roads for a few days here in Fort Worth TX.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.