Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Diva Challenge #165: "UMT - Camelia"

This week's Diva's challenge is an unexpected UMT (use my tangle) challenge. I do like these because like some others have posted, you will see a new pattern posted but do not always have time to try them. This gives an opportunity. This challenge's tangle is Camelia by Ann Marks. She does it as a grid pattern but it works also with out the grid. The opening strokes remind me a lot or Inapod, or at least half of it. I guess it illustrates the numerous possibilities when using the basic strokes.  I chose to use this pattern without the grid. Since I only did one line of it, it was probably easier to do. Would be more work if putting more together. When I was thinking of doing this tile, I was planning on using a Renaissance tile. This was mostly because I was planning on using the brown micron and using a tangle that I had experimented with on the cover of a moleskin journal. When I took out the materials I had with me to start, I did not have any Renaissance tiles with me. I decided to use what I had, which were the original tiles. I stuck with my original idea of using the black and sepia. Scroll feather is the tangle that I had been experimenting with. Was a little harder to get the white highlights on this. It looks okay here but I like the way it looks on the Renaissance tiles better. The rest of the tile just developed ala Zentangle® style. Here is what I came up with I hope you enjoy it. 



Tangles Used: Camelia, Scroll Feather, Ahh, Mist, and Frondous 

The white highlights are done with a White Signo UM-153 pen. I had wanted to use the Prismacolor wax white pencil but it was not showing up well. 

If you have not looked at the other postings on I am the Diva, I would strongly recommend you do so. If it is early in the week, plan on gong back often to stay up on new postings. 

Thanks for visiting. As always, comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated.

Go Tangle !!

21 comments:

  1. I really like this - it feels like a glorious stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sehr schön!
    Grüße aus Deutschland,*Manja*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the coloring!! The choice of background is perfect for the picture!!! Simply Lovely!! Share Humanity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice tile, Donald. I particularly like the Scroll Feather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donald. This is really so interesting to me how it morphed into a very organic scene of plants emerging from the soil with the rain/snow mix giving them life. Camelia is the earthworm tilling the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Donald! I really like the fill and highlights you've added to the scrolled feather :) I've been experimenting with the grid-less Camelia too - yours looks terrific! h

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scroll feather is fun, huh? Very nice job on this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful tile! I like the colors too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Donald, I like this tile very much! And what I like about your Camelia is that you did great shading on the black part, and put the swirl in sepia, looks so different, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice tile, I like the two tone Camelia and well done with Scroll Feather. I haven't mastered that tangle yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous!! It seems there are a few more tangles I need to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely and you have chosen great tangles next to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your two-coloured scrollfeathers. Your tile looks a bit like a secret garden. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice tile, Donald - light and airy, which is how feathers should be! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful organic tile. I really like that it coordinates with the rug that you photographed it on, too. Was that intentional or a happy accident? Thanks again for stopping by lunanista!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like your two-tone tangles, it works really well with camelia taken out of the grid! Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the black and sepia contrast! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love the free form way that you did the Camelia pattern. I didn't attempt any free form with this pattern I just left it in a grid, but I think it is much prettier free form. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great looking garden, Donald. Great choice of patterns to go with Camelia; and I love how you've turned Camelia into a border.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice, Donald! I especially like the contrast of your color with the white tile.

    Happy tangling,

    Jacque Solomon
    www.tanglebright.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Comments are welcomed and appreciated.